General Terms & Conditions
• The age limit to participate in the Marathon is 18+ years and Half Marathon Race is 15+ years old and it concerns only able-bodied runners.
• The age limit to participate in the 10km Road Race and the Lava Run Trail Run is 12+ years old and it concerns only able-bodied runners.
• Participants in the “Myvatn Marathon and Lava Run" are fully aware of and understand the full risks involved in their participation in the race, in regards to possible damages, or harm to their health.
• Every runner participates in the event at his/her own free will.
• Every runner participates in the event on his/her own responsibility and bears full responsibility as to his/her fitness condition and ability to participate.
• The organizing committee of the event carry no responsibility in case of injury, damage, or any other harm that may be caused by participating, or spectating the event.
• Only runners that have dully, officially and in time registered for the event can participate in the Myvatn Marathon and LAva Run races.
• Participants are obligated to bear the race bib that they were given by the Organizing Committee of the event, on the front of their chest. In any other case, it is possible that they are disqualified from the race.
• All participants must respect and follow the regulations of the event, before, during, and after the race.
• The Myvatn Marathon and Lava Run event takes place the day and time that has been announced as such, regardless of weather conditions. Only in cases of exceptional circumstances or other force majeur incident, the Organizing Committee of the event have the right to decide on the postponement of the start time or the cancellation of the event, depending on the current conditions. In such cases, the registration fee is NOT refunded to the registered runners.
• The Organizing Committee of the event have the right to change the event’s schedule, the terms and conditions regarding participation and staging of the event, without prior notice, by posting such a decision on the website of the event.
• Participants agree that their personal data may by given to third parties for reasons related to timing, results\' ranking and announcment on the internet. Personal data of the participants required during the registration procedure are stored and will be used for purposes only related to the staging of the event. By submitting an entry form, each participant consents to the storing his/her personal data and its use for the purposes of the event.
• Participants consent to the use of their image during the race by the organizers, sponsors, or other partners of the evet for promotional purposes, with no right to claim full or partial compensation for that reason.
Registration Terms & Conditions
• The Myvatn Marathon Organizing Committee have the right to suspend, or close registrations without prior notice.
• Registration to any of the Myvatn Marathon and Lava Run races is possible only through the online registration platform available in the official event’s website, or by any alternative way indicated by the Organizing Committee.
• A registration is considered valid on the condition that it has been successfully submitted as stated above and that the registration fee, as determined on the date of registration, is successfully paid, while the amount of the registration fee has been credited to the organizers’ accounts.
• Registrations to any of the Myvatn Marathon and Lava Run races, for which the full registration fee has not been paid within two (2) working days after the date that the entry form has been submitte, are cancelled with no prior notice.
• Changes on confirmed registrations (runners’ replacement, change of race etc.) are not possible under any circumstances after the closure of registration period, for any of the event’s races, or after a certain date determined by the Organizing Committee.
• Cancellations of confirmed registrations are only possible in accordance to the cancellation policy of the event, as indicated in the designated section of the official website of the event.
• Post confirmation of the registration, no further change regarding the selected t-shirt size of the runner is possible (in case of confirmed registration in the Advanced or Full Registration Level).
Race Bibs & Kits Collection Terms & Conditions:
• Race bibs and kits are personally collected by the registered runners themselves and only from the event’s Registration table during the days and hours announced. The registered runner needs to present a valid identification document (ID card, passport etc.). A registered runner may authorize another person to collect his/her race bib on his/her behalf from the event’s Registration table, as mentioned above, presenting an authorization by the registered runner on the responsibility, of the latter, as well as a copy of the ID card or other legal identification document (for example passport, driving license) of the registered runner.
• In order to collect race bibs and race kits, it is required, in addition to presenting ID card or other legal identification document (eg passport, driving license) of the registered runner, to also present a copy of the “bib number notification e-mail” that states the runner’s race bib, and is sent to all registered runners.
• Runner replacement(s), and/or change in the selected race, are not possible under any circumstances during collection of race bib and kits at the event’s Registration table. Only validation of the runner’s data and update of his/her personal information is possible at that stage.
• Race bibs and kits are not sent anywhere, under any circumstances, either by regular mail or any other way to their rightful runner, before, during, or after the operating days and hours of the event’s Registration table.
• Race bibs and kits that are not properly collected during the operating days and hours of the event’s Registration table, may not be collected under no circumstances thereafter.
Participation (Race Day) Terms & Conditions
• Participants are obliged to strictly follow the instructions of the organizers, volunteers, and event’s staff, including calls to abandon the course and stop the race.
• The race bib is personal and may not be conveyed, transferred, or be given to another runner under any circumstances.
• Participants are obliged to read and respect the instructions provided by the Organizing Committee of the event, either electronically, or in printed format (such as Medical & Technical Instructions, Race Manual) and which have been announced in the official website of the event.
• Access to the race course, and the areas at the start finish of the event is not permitted under any circumstances, to non registered runners.
• Every participant is obliged to complete on his/her own responsibility the data required at the back side of his/her race bib, whether it is relevant to contact information, or personal medical data.
• Use of bicycle or other wheeled mean is not allowed on the race course, whether it is about a runner, or another accompanying person. In such case, the directly involved participant is excluded from the race and is called upon to withdraw from the event.
• The time limit to finish the Marathon Race is set to eight (6) hours from the start time of the race.
• The time limit to finish the Half Marathon Race is set to eight (4) hours from the start time of the race.
• The time limit to finish the 10km Road Race is set to 120 minutes from the start time of the race.
• The official time is the time from the starting gunshot. The net time is the time from the moment the participant passes the mat at the start line, until he/she crosses the relevant mat at the finish line.
• The race classification results from the official finish times. The net time and split times are announced only for the information of the runner.
Cancellations / Return Policy
Cancellations and changing personal data requests, may be accepted only after written notification and only in case such a written notification is sent to us before May 24, 2019. After that date no cancellation and/or changing data requests are accepted. In case of confirmed cancellation, the registration fee is refunded 90% to the applicant. All refund requests are processes about one month after the event.
What personal information do we collect from the people that visit our blog, website or app?
When ordering or registering on our site, as appropriate, you may be asked to enter your name, email address, phone number, social security number, Birthday or other details to help you with your experience.
When do we collect information?
We collect information from you when you place an order or enter information on our site.
How do we use your information?
We may use the information we collect from you when you register, make a purchase, sign up for our newsletter, respond to a survey or marketing communication, surf the website, or use certain other site features in the following ways:
• To quickly process your transactions.
How do we protect your information?
Our website is scanned on a regular basis for security holes and known vulnerabilities in order to make your visit to our site as safe as possible.
We use regular Malware Scanning.
Your personal information is contained behind secured networks and is only accessible by a limited number of persons who have special access rights to such systems, and are required to keep the information confidential. In addition, all sensitive/credit information you supply is encrypted via Secure Socket Layer (SSL) technology.
We implement a variety of security measures when a user places an order to maintain the safety of your personal information.
All transactions are processed through a gateway provider and are not stored or processed on our servers.
Do we use 'cookies'?
You can choose to have your computer warn you each time a cookie is being sent, or you can choose to turn off all cookies. You do this through your browser settings. Since browser is a little different, look at your browser's Help Menu to learn the correct way to modify your cookies.
If you turn cookies off, Some of the features that make your site experience more efficient may not function properly.that make your site experience more efficient and may not function properly.
We do not sell, trade, or otherwise transfer to outside parties your Personally Identifiable Information.
We do not include or offer third-party products or services on our website.
Google's advertising requirements can be summed up by Google's Advertising Principles. They are put in place to provide a positive experience for users.
We use Google AdSense Advertising on our website.
We have implemented the following:
• Remarketing with Google AdSense
We, along with third-party vendors such as Google use first-party cookies (such as the Google Analytics cookies) and third-party cookies (such as the DoubleClick cookie) or other third-party identifiers together to compile data regarding user interactions with ad impressions and other ad service functions as they relate to our website.
Can change your personal information:
• By emailing us
How does our site handle Do Not Track signals?
We honor Do Not Track signals and Do Not Track, plant cookies, or use advertising when a Do Not Track (DNT) browser mechanism is in place.
Does our site allow third-party behavioral tracking?
It's also important to note that we do not allow third-party behavioral tracking
COPPA (Children Online Privacy Protection Act)
When it comes to the collection of personal information from children under the age of 13 years old, the Children's Online Privacy Protection Act (COPPA) puts parents in control. The Federal Trade Commission, United States' consumer protection agency, enforces the COPPA Rule, which spells out what operators of websites and online services must do to protect children's privacy and safety online.
We do not specifically market to children under the age of 13 years old.
Do we let third-parties, including ad networks or plug-ins collect PII from children under 13?
Fair Information Practices
The Fair Information Practices Principles form the backbone of privacy law in the United States and the concepts they include have played a significant role in the development of data protection laws around the globe. Understanding the Fair Information Practice Principles and how they should be implemented is critical to comply with the various privacy laws that protect personal information.
In order to be in line with Fair Information Practices we will take the following responsive action, should a data breach occur:
We will notify you via email
• Within 7 business days
We also agree to the Individual Redress Principle which requires that individuals have the right to legally pursue enforceable rights against data collectors and processors who fail to adhere to the law. This principle requires not only that individuals have enforceable rights against data users, but also that individuals have recourse to courts or government agencies to investigate and/or prosecute non-compliance by data processors.
CAN SPAM Act
The CAN-SPAM Act is a law that sets the rules for commercial email, establishes requirements for commercial messages, gives recipients the right to have emails stopped from being sent to them, and spells out tough penalties for violations.
We collect your email address in order to:
• Send information, respond to inquiries, and/or other requests or questions
• Process orders and to send information and updates pertaining to orders.
• Send you additional information related to your product and/or service
To be in accordance with CANSPAM, we agree to the following:
• Not use false or misleading subjects or email addresses.
• Identify the message as an advertisement in some reasonable way.
• Include the physical address of our business or site headquarters.
• Monitor third-party email marketing services for compliance, if one is used.
• Honor opt-out/unsubscribe requests quickly.
• Allow users to unsubscribe by using the link at the bottom of each email.
If at any time you would like to unsubscribe from receiving future emails, you can email us at
and we will promptly remove you from ALL correspondence.
Last Edited on 2018-11-18
Participant Waiver for Race Registration
I know that running the Mývatn Marathon as a road race is potentially hazardous activity, which could cause injury or death. I will not enter and participate unless I am medically able and properly trained, and by my signature, I certify that I am medically able to perform this event, and am in good health, and I am properly trained. I agree to abide by any decision of a race official relative to any aspect of my participation in this event, including the right of any official to deny or suspend my participation for any reason whatsoever. I assume all risks associated with running in this event, including but no limited to: falls, contact with other participants, the effects of the weather, including high heat and/or humidity, traffic and the conditions of the road, all such risks being known and appreciated by me. I understand that skateboards, baby joggers, roller skates or roller blades, animals, and personal music players are not allowed in the race and I will abide by all race rules. Having read this waiver and knowing these facts and inconsideration of your accepting my entry, I, for myself and anyone entitled to act on my behalf, waive and release the Mývatn Marathon, Mývatnsstofa ehf, all event sponsors, their representatives and successors from all claims or liabilities of any kind arising out of my participation in this event, even though that liability may arise out of negligence or carelessness on the part of the persons named in this waiver. I grant permission to all of the foregoing to use my photographs, motion pictures, recordings or any other record of this event for any legitimate purpose. I understand that this event does not provide for refunds in the event of a cancellation, and by signing this waiver, I consent that I am not entitled to a refund if the event is cancelled before or during the event.
If you have any questions contact:
Mývatnsstofa ehf - Visit Mývatn